Tuesday, October 27, 2020

The Adventures of Bradley Brackett

Calling all Terrestrials And Spacefarers!


So, last time I rambled incoherently about Science Fantasy, which I don't think I managed to define very well.  Hey!  I never claimed to be Wikipedia!  The short version is that Science Fantasy is a Fantasy-type story that takes place in some sci-fi (or pseudo-sci-fi) environment.  Once upon a time, they used to be called Planetary Romance stories.  ...I don't know why.

Now, a Planetary Romance or Science Fantasy story that deals with broad, sprawling galactic kingdoms led by evil tyrants who need to be overthrown...these are called Space Operas.

I love Space Opera.  I've always loved Space Opera.  I'll admit that Star Wars probably started my love of Space Opera, but there's more to Space Opera than just Star Wars.  I love the old school, art deco aesthetic of the old Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers serials from the 30's.  I love a lot of really bad sci-fi movies that came out before and after Star Wars.  Not to mention some cheesy comic books, and a lot of classic sci-fi from writers like Edmond Hamilton and Leigh Brackett.

So that brings me back around to writing.  Because as I've said before on this blog, the secret to writing is not to "Write What You Know", but instead to "Write What You Want To Read".  I like cheesy sci-fi fantasy space opera, and so I also write cheesy sci-fi fantasy space opera.

So I came up with Captain Bradley Brackett of the Galactic Patrol.  Bradley Brackett--named after Marion Zimmer Bradley and Leigh Brackett--is a space cop who patrols the Triddian Sector, newly liberated from the strangling grip of the abusive Nilboggi Empire.  Armed with his Zeta-Active Plasma (ZAP) ray gun and his multi-purpose Sonic Sword, he set out to bring the law and order of the Allied Worlds to this galactic frontier.  

The first Bradley Brackett story is called "Beneath Narsalia's Veil".  A dangerous criminal escapes the prison station and Brackett pursues the escapee onto the the prehistoric planet Narsalia.  The heavy and heavily-charged clouds of the planet prohibit communications, and Brackett must face prehistoric alien beasts and cro-magnon lifeforms during the pursuit of his escaped convict, and then still has to find a way to signal the orbiting prison station for a ride off the planet.  

It's good stuff, you should totally check it out.  And I'm not the only one who thought so, because that story was published in an online ezine called Raygun Revival.  Sadly, they have since ceased publishing.  Happily, it was NOT the end of Bradley Brackett's career.

Because another online ezine, Abandoned Towers, approached me about writing a monthly serial based on that short story.  So, the Triddian Sector expanded a little bit...  Bradley Brackett is a cop-on-the-beat, so I gave him a partner to ride with:  Sargent Matthew Ginsberg.  Hey, every hero needs a sidekick.  I am pleased to say that the serial ran for a little over two years with an installment every month, usually with a picture AND an audio version of each monthly episode.  The episodes were short and the story moved slowly but the action was fast.  Alas and alack...Abandoned Towers also ceased publication.


However, while writing the serial, I was inspired to write a novel-length adventure.  I reworked a few of my older ideas, added a few new inspirations, and came up with "The Alphanauts' Legacy".  This takes place sometime after the events in the serial, Brackett is now the head of a growing team of officers, including Sargent Velma Sorenson and Corporal Alvin Gish.  I had a vague idea of transitioning them into a sort of NCIS team or something.  

They're called in to deal with a group of Nilbog bandits, but the adventure quickly grows to include mercenaries, double-dealing merchants, galactic gangsters and a group of fanatical cultists all trying to gain access to a mysterious starship supposedly created by the very first race of beings to achieve space-travel:  the Alphanauts.

The Bradley Brackett series has been on hold for quite a while now, but I've taken to reworking and expanding the idea yet again.  I've incorporated my love of shared worlds, and am working to expand The Adventures of Bradley Brackett into Tales From the Triddian Sector.  
I plan on following the adventures of various groups of heroes, and seeing how their exploits affect one another and the galaxy as a whole.  

But that's a project for the future.  If you'd like to get an early taste of it right now, you can check out Beneath Narsalia's Veil and The Alphanauts' Legacy, both are available for the Kindle right now!

So if you like rip-roaring space adventure, you'll like Bradley Brackett!  Check him out!  I've got about a million other things I need to get done, so I'll talk at you again soon!


Until then, I wish you all...

Good Adventuring!
Timothy A. Sayell

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and Welcome!

Hey-ho and what-do-ya-know! I see you've found your way here to my Home Base, my Head-Quarters, my Secret Lair, my Sanctum Santorum!  ...