Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Fireball Island

 Howdy folks!  You're just in time to join me on a Terribly Arsonous Safari, so let's go!

Imagine an expedition to a lush tropical island, riddled with volcanic fissures that belch out massive fireballs that roll down jungle paths, leveling all that stands in their way!  At the center of this dangerous tropical paradise atop the angry volcano sits the primitive idol Vul-Kar, who watches over a gigantic red jewel--which is the goal of our very expedition!

This is the premise of the Milton Bradley game Fireball Island!  Released in 1986, this is easily the second coolest board game ever!*

This is the first game I was aware of that had a three dimensional board.  I don't mean like Mousetrap, which had a flat board that you built 3-D elements upon.  And I don't mean like Life which had that built-in spinner wheel and little built-in plastic hills so the board would fold correctly.  No!  This was a single large piece of vacuum-formed plastic depicting sloping trails divided by rocky outcroppings, ravines and pits!  

See, you start on this one plateau--I don't remember if it said so in the rule book, but I was always under the impression that we airdropped onto the island.  Then you make your way through winding jungle trails, past crumbling temples, across rickety bridges and the occasional shortcut through twisting caves all in an attempt to take the fabulous jewel for yourself and reach the only escape boat before the other players!

Once someone takes the jewel from its place beside the idol of Vul-Kar, they must avoid the other players who are now trying to steal the jewel for themselves and reach the boat first.  On top of this, everyone must look out for Fireballs, which are activated by certain cards and dice rolls and--according to the rules--MUST try to hit a player--even if you have to hit yourself!

Don't worry, you don't die or anything.  Getting hit by a fireball only means you lose a turn...and your place on the board...and the jewel if you have it.  I mean HAD it.  This gives the other players a chance to catch up...or leave you behind!

There is also a deck of cards--players can each have up to four at a time--that can affect how you or other players move.  

Up to four people can play at once.  I gotta tell you, when there are only two players, its pretty tame.  Three players gets interesting.  But when there are four players, the game can get pretty wild!  Everyone racing for the jewel, playing cards on one another, stealing the jewel back an forth between players, and fireballs rolling everywhere!

As you can probably guess, this is a popular game among my family.  Many an evening was spent playing this game with brothers, sisters-in-law, nieces and nephews.  Why even today, when my niece comes to visit, she STILL insists on playing a game or two of Fireball Island!

Back in 2018, Restoration Games held a super-successful Kickstarter campaign to raise the money for a reboot/reimagining of the game.  As I said, it was super-successful--in fact they met their goal in the first hour--and they came out with a new version and a series of expansions.  Now, I haven't played any of the expansions, but I did get to play the new version once.  It is VASTLY different from the original.  I'll have to play it a few more times to get used to it, I guess.

So far, I still like the original best!  You should still be able to find it on places like eBay, if you're interested.  Maybe even with all the pieces!  It's highly recommended! 

I guess that all for now, folks!  So I'll see ya next time!  Until then, I wish you all...

Good Adventuring!
Timothy A. Sayell

* The coolest board game ever was obviously Dark Tower (no connection whatsoever to the the novels by Stephen King).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and Welcome!

Hey-ho and what-do-ya-know! I see you've found your way here to my Home Base, my Head-Quarters, my Secret Lair, my Sanctum Santorum!  ...